Locomotive Number 1616 "King's Own"
The London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company's "Royal Scot" Class
locomotive number 6161, "King's Own", built in the Derby Locomotive Works
in 1930. The locomotive was originally named "The King's Own".
Deputy Colonel of the Regiment, Brigadier-General F B Matthews, officially
named the locomotive "King's Own" at London's Euston Station on 7th
January 1931. The 2nd Battalion, which disembarked the same day at
Southampton, travelled to London to witness the ceremony. It's first
public duty was to haul the train conveying the battalion to Lichfield.
The locomotive was rebuilt in 1949 and remained in service with the
nationalised British Railways until it was withdrawn in 1963.
Accession Numbers: KO0254/04 and KO0445/38
"King's Own" nameplate on the Royal Scot Class locomotive. One of
the two nameplates is now displayed in the regimental museum in Lancaster.
Accession Number KO0445/37
"King's Own" in Lancaster, oil painting by Trevor Owen, commissioned by
Accession Number: KO1905/01
Colour illustration of the LMS Locomotive, 6161, 'King's Own' circa
Accession Number: KO2839/03
Wooden jig-saw puzzle of the 'King's Own' train, circa 1930s.
Accession Number: KO2917/58
See also Railway Tickets
© Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
You must seek permission prior to
publication to any of our images.